PCMCIA modules recompilation: Undefined symbols

Hi,

I needed to recompile a kernel to support some hardware on my laptop.
Thus also the PCMCIA modules needed to be build.  I issued:
	make-kpkg modules_clean
	make-kpkg modules_image
and installed.  All went fine.  Except with depmod (in the postinstall
script or otherwise) which gives me `Unresolved symbols' for the
PCMCIA modules (even for PCMCIA_core).

I compiled from the Debian packaged kernel & PCMCIA sources, namely:
	kernel-source-2.2.15 1:2.2.15-2
	pcmcia-source        3.1.8-13
Any help would be very much appreciated --- especially as I have to
reboot with the old kernel to get connected..

Thanks,
ChriS