drivers disk problems

It's got to be simple, and documented somewhere, but I've done an earnest
combing of the faqs, howto's, and lists:

SUMMARY: trying to install slink on toshiba satelite pro 425 (on new 6G
hd), w/ Xircom cem288 card.  I never seem to be prompted for the drivers
disk/image in dbootstrap (or before).

DETAILS:
trying to do this over a hd install through a win98 partition (only put it
on, after doing all the same with boot disks, both resc1440.bin, and the
tecra images (they wouldn't boot at all))

so i get into dbootstrap, initialize all the partitions, then try to
-Configure PCMCIA support:  get "/sbin/cardmgr not found
-Configure Device Driver modules: get "/lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep not
found"

-also I notice, when I run 'grep' at a prompt, I get "The drivers disk
must be installed to be able to run /bin/grep"

-also notice that the /lib/modules directory is just plain empty.

When I try to create a boot disk or install Lilo, I get general errors.  I
brought the / partition (far) under the 1023rd cylinder, but lilo still
has problems.

So I just do a base install, hoping to work it out later grabbing
base2-1.tgz off the win98 partition.
I reboot, (running loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2 rw to get back), and
/lib/modules (what used to be /target/lib/modules) still empty.

But I notice when I do a 'dpkg -l', there's a line for pcmcia-cs 3.0.5-10.
This caused even bigger problems when, I just tried to install the
pcmcia-cs package manually, because it can't find anything in /lib/modules
and it seems to puts the pcmcia-cs package in a continuous limbo, where I
can't get back to 3.0.5-10.

SO.....
what do I do?  I just can't find the place, where I'm supposed to tell the
rescue disk to look at the drivers disk.

sky

[a newish linux user, i apologize in advance, when someone points me to
the faq/howto line that says exactly what to do]