Re: Unidentified subject!

David Goodyear <o227g@UNB.CA> writes:

> First I will start by saying that I am a new linux user.  I have installed
> the debian operating system on my IBM 365XD.  However, when I try to boot
> the system it just hangs after "LILO loading linux".  Additionally my
> debian boot floppy doesn't work either (maybe because of the external
> floppy?).  Anyway, I had to make a windows 98 boot floppy which has
> loadlin.exe and linux on it.  the autoexec.bat file executes loadlin.exe
> ie. " a:\loadlin.exe a:\linux root=/dev/hda1" .  This is th only way I
> could boot my system.  How can I fix things so that I can boot directly
> from hard disk (/dev/hda1)?
> If anyone has any ideas that I could use to fix this problem, your help
> would be appreciated
>
> David Goodyear

Maybe your linux kernel lies do far down the disk, i.e. behind the 518
MB mark or the 1024th cylinder or something else. If you have it on /
and / is small and the first partition you might try the following:

1. You can create a small partition with a dos on it that starts loadlin.
2. Do 1. and then tell lilo to install the bootblock on the dos
   partition (this helps on my notebook)
3. Change the geometry mapping of your drive from normal to lba to big
   or whatever your bios has or tell lilo to adress the harddisk by
   blocks and not gemoetry.
4. Try to find out whats so special about your system that breaks lilos

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin