another newbie

Hi. I've been reading about Linux for a while now and was thinking about
putting it on my ancient laptop. It's not my main pc, but it's a good
traveler and I'd like to get a few more miles out of it. It's a Compaq
Lite Lte 20, a 386sx 20mhz  with 10 megs of ram, and a 600 meg hard
drive. I'm running DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 on it right now.

It's not hard to find big chunky distributions on CD-ROM but how do I
shoehorn Linux on to my laptop? Is a 600 meg hard drive big enough for
the OS, a word processor, and a game or two? Will it run more slowly
with Linux than it does with Dos 6.22? Is there some kind of GUI that
will run as well as Win 3.1 does?

Any help would be graciously appreciated.