Re: another newbie

sunshine_wonder wrote:

> It's not hard to find big chunky distributions on CD-ROM but how do I
> shoehorn Linux on to my laptop? Is a 600 meg hard drive big enough for
> the OS, a word processor, and a game or two? Will it run more slowly
> with Linux than it does with Dos 6.22? Is there some kind of GUI that
> will run as well as Win 3.1 does?

I think you shouldn't have problems installing debian in your laptop. I have
installed debian in a disk of 150 MB and it fits; obviously with only necessary
packages. 600 MB is more than enough to have a comfortable environment.

A little word of advice. I have never installed debian using the automatic
installation procedure "a la windows". I use dpkg (the low level pckage
installer) to install only the packages I need and my installation is about 100
MB, whith a lot of things. I think the automatic installation puts a lot of
things in your hard drive which you will never use.

The way to go is to install the base system, following the instructions outlined
at <http://www.debian.org> and then install the packages you want using dpkg (or
apt if you want a nicer interface, I haven't used it). You will end with a lot
of free space in your HD.

Felipe Sanchez
<fsanchez@eso.org>
<ground-0@entelchile.net>