Debian on an older laptop

Hi,

I have an friend who wants to ditch windows and put linux on his laptop.  I
already have Debian installed on my Dell and it works fine, however I'm not
sure if it's possible to install on his computer (Zenith Z-Note L425).  The
biggest problem is that he is without a CD drive, and only has a very slow
modem (9600 bps).  Is it possible to install most of a working system off of
floppies?  Would it be possible to easily transfer files between my computer
and his using a serial cable?  Would Debian even be the best choice for this
machine?

Thanks,

MBG

--
"Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.  Much bigger than
that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow,