Re: another newbie

Quoting Blu on Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 09:22:25PM -0300:
> sunshine_wonder wrote:
>

> > It's not hard to find big chunky distributions on CD-ROM but how do I
> > shoehorn Linux on to my laptop? Is a 600 meg hard drive big enough for
> > the OS, a word processor, and a game or two? Will it run more slowly
> > with Linux than it does with Dos 6.22? Is there some kind of GUI that
> > will run as well as Win 3.1 does?
> >

> I think you shouldn't have problems installing debian in your laptop. I have
> installed debian in a disk of 150 MB and it fits; obviously with only necessary
> packages. 600 MB is more than enough to have a comfortable environment.
>
> A little word of advice. I have never installed debian using the automatic
> installation procedure "a la windows". I use dpkg (the low level pckage
> installer) to install only the packages I need and my installation is about 100
> MB, whith a lot of things. I think the automatic installation puts a lot of
> things in your hard drive which you will never use.
>
> The way to go is to install the base system, following the instructions outlined
> at <http://www.debian.org> and then install the packages you want using dpkg (or
> apt if you want a nicer interface, I haven't used it). You will end with a lot
> of free space in your HD.
>
> Felipe Sanchez
> <fsanchez@eso.org>
> <ground-0@entelchile.net>

This is definitely true!!  I recently did an install of debian potato from
two floppy diskettes and a nfs mount and then began doing apt-gets to get
all the additional stuff I wanted.  Its taken me all day to get a system
working the way I want with windowmaker, nice themes, staroffice 5.1a, gimp,
etc but the disk real estate spent is significantly less than my redhat
experiences.  I am using a Fujitsu Lifebook now with a Pentium II 366 and
192mb of memory.  The Lifebook has a Neomagic chipset and supported sound
card.  It runs debian quite nicely and is very nice weight wise compared to
my Dell Inspiron 7000 which came in at 9 lbs.

Do the base system install as advised above and then use "apt-get install"
to round things out.  You have quite good control using this method and you
end up with the system you want.  Debian is just great!!

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com