Re: eth0: startup messages - pseudo newbie

    Drew> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 11:18:14PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
    >> Jordan Howarth <jordan.howarth@cmis.csiro.au> writes: > ALSO, if I remove
    >> the ethernet cable and put it back later I lose my connection > entirely.
    >>
    >> To restart your network card the following is normaly enough:
    >>
    >> ifconfig eth0 down; rmmod <module>; insmod <module>; /etc/init.d/network;
    >> ping <someone else>

    Drew> I have a suspicion it might be even simpler than this.  Am I wrong I
    Drew> thinking that all you need to do is ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up

Did that before and no joy.

    Drew> But I have another similar "problem" that is more annoying than anything
    Drew> else.  If I put my laptop into sleep mode, then when I turn it back on I
    Drew> find I've lost the network, and I have to perform a /etc/init.d/pcmcia
    Drew> restart to get it going again.

I too have this problem, but as I said my eth0 is built in. I have yet to try
Goswin's approach, still at work !! It would be nice to have a neat solution
although /etc/init.d/network isn't too complicated. :)

Sorry if this is blind leading the blind ..

Jord

P.S. How's the surf, Drew?

--
Jordan Howarth					mailto:jordan.howarth@cmis.csiro.au
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences	Ph:  (07) 3214 2465