Re: default route not set with 3com dual modem/enet card

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 12:30:36PM -0700, Michael Perry wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> Just a question about something a few of us have noted where I work.  I have
> a Fujitsu Lifebook running potato which has a 3com 556 card which provides
> both 100mbit ethernet and modem services.  One thing we have noticed is that
> when we dial a ISP while on the road the ethernet connection requires us to
> remove it by issuing the command in /etc/pcmcia.  After this, the ppp
> connection sets up a default route correctly to a mindspring.
>
> At home, I have both an eth0 and a ppp connection and it works correctly.
>
> Is there a switch somewhere in the pcmcia stuff which will let the ppp
> interface establish a default route?

I think it's in the ppp docs that it says ppp will NOT set the default
route if one is already set on eth0 (this is how things should be, if you
think about it).  What I do is explicitly turn eth0 off:
	ifconfig eth0 down
and after that when pppd runs, it sets the default route automatically.

Drew