Re: default route not set with 3com dual modem/enet card

Drew Parsons wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 12:30:36PM -0700, Michael Perry wrote:
> > Hi all-

> > when we dial a ISP while on the road the ethernet connection requires us to
> > remove it by issuing the command in /etc/pcmcia.  After this, the ppp
> > connection sets up a default route correctly to a mindspring.

Actually, it isn't necessary to down the Ethernet connection, just
remove the default route.
That is what I do, and this permits the PPP connection to establish a
new default route
while still using the eth0 connection to access the local network.

> > At home, I have both an eth0 and a ppp connection and it works correctly.

It's quite possible that at home, you don't have a default route. Unless
you have another machine at home that has some type of connection to the
outside, and you actively use this from your laptop, then you wouldn't
have a default route. If you have a default route already, then the PPP
connection will not override it (this is documented, as has already been
noted in this thread).

--Greg