Re: pcmcia-cs in Woody

> > Ob Debian-laptop:  I notice that pcmcia-cs in "pure" woody is still
> > (ugh) 3.1.22?  That's *ancient*!  sid has 3.1.31 - can we convince
> > them to promote it over so the woody discs don't roll out hopelessly
> > behind?  Or does anyone know of an abiding reason why they've let it
> > rot?
>
> ...it works?
>
> I got revved to 3.1.36 today on a 2.2 kernel.  The install/config are
> based on 2.4, and break networking rather badly, based on both kernel
> modules and card/driver associations.  For the gory details, see
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=133968
>
> Peace.

Errr... that's not "3.1.36" you wrote in your bug report.  It's "3.1.31-6"
or the 6th build of .31 ... I think.

But you're posilutely right.  Ouchie!  I would have never run into that --
more likely other things -- I have a Ricoh bridge.  (Hardly surprising
as I've a Ricoh laptop)

As we get more lures towards buying new toys for our laptops the disparity
between "because they work" and "but the mappings/modules are only in the
new code" will just get worse.  We really have to make them get this nailed
down before woody is sealed in metel-oxides and plastic.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...