Re: Toshiba laptops

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 07:15:07PM +0000, Luis Mendes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody out there with any experience of Debian in any of the
> following Toshiba laptops?
>
> Satellite 1800-100, 1800-204S, 1800-314, 1800-354S and
> 3000-X4

Jonathan Buzzard has written a set of Toshiba Linux utilities, which provide
access to BIOS functions.  His webpage is http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/
The Debian package is named toshutils (a new version with small bug fixes
will be uploaded soon).  He's got a couple of further references which might
help you feel secure that the 1800 will work fine for you.  I've got a
490CDT, and it's still chugging along very happily.  Support for it is only
getting better as kernel support for IRDA, USB and ACPI continues to improve
(ACPI is not yet complete, you can't yet rely on it).

By the way, Jonathan states that "In addition they will not run on Satellite
16xx, 17xx, 3000 and 35DVD machines from Toshiba either." because those
models use a different (non-Toshiba) BIOS.  That implies the 1800 should be
fine, at least as far as toshutils is concerned (it's listed in the source,
too, where the 16xx, etc models are absent).

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A