Re: 2.6.15 on HP ZV6100 ( similar to compaq R4000)

Leonardo Boselli wrote:
[I am not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my own address]
I have a HP ZV6100 . I have installed debian serge, then updated to etch.
but either with 2.6.8 or 2.6.15, k7 or 486 i am unable to activate dma and
in turn the computer freeze almost completely during disk access
(expecailly if i download large files from a fast lan server).
The hardware is fine since if i use a 2.6.12 from ububntu the dma is
correctly activated and i can also activcate/deactivate it with hdparm.
Any hint ? possible kernel personalization to get it to woik ?

This can happen when your IDE controller's module is not loaded early
enough during boot. I think you need the module "atiixp", but you have
to check yourself with "lspci" (look for "IDE interface: ..."). You can
then either compile a custom kernel with the driver included statically,
or you can add the module to /etc/mkinitrd/modules and use
"dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.15-xxx" to rebuild your initrd with
the module. Sometimes it can also be necessary to explicitly include the
module "ide_generic" in /etc/mkinitrd/modules, but then it should
probably be listed after (below) the specific module of the IDE controller.

Regards,
           Florian

P.S. If you need more detailed instructions just ask, but please keep
the discussion on the list and don't send separate copies to my email
address.