Re: 2.6.15 on HP ZV6100 ( similar to compaq R4000)

I would like to know the trick about loading earlier that you are
talking about.  I load all main drivers from the initrd.  You must for
all boot hardware anyway.  My experience is that if it is built as a
module, hdparm will not be allowed to change DMA settings.

Robert