Re: 2.6.15 on HP ZV6100 ( similar to compaq R4000)

Robert Goley wrote:
I would like to know the trick about loading earlier that you are
talking about.  I load all main drivers from the initrd.  You must
for all boot hardware anyway.  My experience is that if it is built
as a module, hdparm will not be allowed to change DMA settings.

Compiling the ide controller's module into the kernel is surely the most
robust way to get DMA working. If you use a custom kernel anyway then I
would not even think twice about it. (It is also what I do.) If you have
never compiled your own kernel before, on the other hand, then this
option might seem a bit complicated. A number of people have reported
success with DMA when changing their initrd or using a different initrd
creator. It might not work for every controller and it might depend on
other things, such as the exact version of your kernel, mkinitrd vs.
yaird, initramfs-tools, udev vs. hotplug, bugs that get fixed for a
certain version of these packages, new bugs which are introduced, etc.
See here for an example:

Regards,
           Florian