Re: Debian laptop problems

Thus spake Florian Reitmeir (florian@reitmeir.org):

> Hi,
>
> did you try to disable apic and acpi?
> try booting with the options:
>
> noapci acpi=off
>
> and .. if this helps, get an bios upgrade if possible.

But there is nothing wrong with the hardware or the BIOS.

kubuntu has no problem with the network, but screws up the vide config.
debian testing (netinstall) misconfigures eth0
knoppix gets it nearly all right but the hd install doesn't leave a
clean system  and it failed to detect my USB mouse.
debian stable misconfigures X. Upgrading to etch (and xorg) still
leaves it miscondfigured. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not
produce a usable configuration.

Considering that the testing netinstall I used in July/August 2005
worked perfectly on the same hardware, I am getting really, really
hacked off about this (as would you if you ended up having to use a
Windoze system in class every day).

Any suggestions - that take into account the functioning nature of the
hardware - welcome.

(Oh - does anyone have a year-old-or-so testing install CD?)
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |