Re: stance on QPL 2 / GPL/LGPL license usage

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:59:10AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> What is the current stance on programs that bind to qt 2.x which is using
> the QPL 2.0 license and are GPL'd or LGPL'd?

Qt 2.0 with LGPL, no problem
Qt 2.0 with GPL, problem

Same stance, has never changed.  The GPL does not allow linking with Qt
2.0.  The people who write GPL apps using Qt 2.0 know this by now.  KDE
knows it, that's for damned sure.  Those authors who care have added the
necessary permissions.  KDE hasn't and won't because then they'd have to
give up being able to use GPL'd code.

Troll Tech of course stays conveniently on the sidelines.  Enough people
like KDE because it's good and easy to use that the "It works" factor
overrides the "It's illegal to do that" factor.  Every now and then Troll
Tech makes a token gesture that they are interested in making Qt 2.0 and
later GPL compatible to keep certain people satisfied with their attempts
at doing the right thing.  I'm not satisfied.

<Delenn> I wouldn't make it through 24 hours before I'd be firing up the grill
         and slapping a few friends on the barbie.
<spacemoos> Why would you slap friends with barbies, thats kinda kinky