Re: Would this comply with DFSG?

Henning Makholm writes:
> I.e, in addition to letting people fork our project (which I realize
> could be necessary e.g. when our grant expires if we can not fund further
> development man-hours), we must let them fork our project and keep that a
> secret from us.

But you've already given them permission to do that:

| - You may modify [the program] and use the modified form within
| your own organisation.

> Why on earth?

>From the Debian Free Software Guidelines:

  3. Derived Works

       The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
       allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of
       the original software.

  4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

       The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
       modified form _only if the license allows the distribution of "patch
       files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program
       at build time.  The license must explicitly permit distribution of
       software built from modified source code. The license may require
       derived works to carry a different name or version number from the
       original software. (This is a compromise. The Debian group
       encourages all authors to not restrict any files, source or binary,
       from being modified.)

It seems to me that your clause violates (3) by placing additional
requirements on the distribution of derivatives and (4) by being a
restriction on distribution of derivatives other than a "patch clause".
It is also excessively vague.

I really think your concerns are unfounded.  It is very unlikely that
anyone is going to produce and distribute any significant improvements to
your work without you learning of them.  Why not chage the requirement to a
request, and then encourage compliance by making your institution the
center of activity involving your package?  Put up a web page, run a
mailing list, maybe provide a cvs repository.  People want to distribute
their improvements.  Make sending them to you the best way to do it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)