Re: Would this comply with DFSG?

Henning Makholm writes:
> Sure. Why, I *want* to be informed about typos. How would I be able
> to correct them in the master source otherwise?

How many thousand times do you want to be informed of typos?

Henning Makholm writes:
> That is intentional, it is an attempt on my behalf not to make further
> development impossible lest we suddenly disappear from the internet.

A copyright license is a legal document.  When interpreting a legal
document, one must always assume the worst-case meaning of any vague
statements.

> How could I improve the wording in that respect?

By making it extremely unambiguous and definite.

> Nobody objected to that part so far. The trouble is knowing there *is*
> anything I'm entitled to use at all.

You can never know everything.  Consider these two scenarios:

a) You keep the clause.  Some people find it distasteful and don't use your
software.  Most comply and send you patches, and you use some of them.
Some people ignore the clause, and distribute 'illegal' versions.  Most of
those that are any good soon become popular.  You find them, incorporate
them, and notify the authors of their error.  Some of them join your
community, some drop your software, and some ignore you.  Most of the
'illegal' modifications that you never learn of are not anything you would
have wanted.  A very few are.

b) You change the requirement to a request.  Most authors of modifications
comply and send you patches, and you use some.  Some ignore the request and
distribute their versions.  Most of those that are any good soon become
popular.  You find them, incorporate them, and contact the author.  Some of
them join your community, and some continue to go their own way.  Most of
the modifications that you never learn of are of no use anyway.  A very few
are things you might have wanted.

> Would there be any acceptable alternative that does not leave the door
> wide open to malevolent abusers?

What is the malevolent abuse you are concerned about and how would your
notice clause prevent it?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)