Re: Proposed Grail and JPython Licenses

Guido van Rossum writes:
> Ask your own lawyer.

We don't have one.  We cannot afford to pay attorneys, and they evidently
do not consider free software projects worthy of their pro bono efforts.

> I really can't tell what harm there is here.

The license clearly grants the right to redistribute to anyone who gets the
software from your site, but do those who receive copies from a licensee
also get a license, or just a copy?  This is important because we require
that anyone who receives a copy from us also get the right to redistribute.

Consider Cheap Bytes.  They download Debian from the Debian archives and
the press and sell CD's.  Could they get a nasty letter from CNRI's lawyers
telling them they must destroy all their CD's because they do not have a
license from CNRI?  I don't think this is the case, but it would be better
to have it clear.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)