Re: Proposed Grail and JPython Licenses

Guido van Rossum writes:
> I'm not a lawyer either, but I repeat my opinion that the license allows
> this.

I think it does too, and I think it can go in Debian as-is.  I would still
prefer to see this clarified, though.  Other licenses (the GPL, for
example) do so.

> Hmm...  Cheap Bytes must have a lawyer they can have look into this if
> they are as paranoid as you are.

No, Cheap Bytes cannot have their lawyer look into it.  They are able to
sell Debian CD's for $1.99 because they can grab the official CD off the
web site and slap it on plastic with minimal overhead.  There are more than
2200 packages in Debian.  If they had to pay a lawyer to review the
copyright on every one of them the cost and delay would make it impossible
for them to sell Debian at all.  Fortunately, they trust us when we say
everything in main is free.

> It is certainly not my intention to send nasty letters to people who
> increase the distribution of JPython or Grail!

Of course it isn't, but can you speak for all your successors?
Institutional policies change.

I repeat: I think the license is free enough to go into main, but I still
would like to see it clarified.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)