Re: [URGENT] Logo license

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 12:40:14PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I'm afraid I've let this linger way to long... People: we need
> logo licenses, and soon!
>
> How about this for a simple start:
>
> `liberal license'
> =================
> I. Can be used by everyone
> II. May not be used to advertise non-free products

This ought to be able to be *really* freely used -- to advertise Debian
compatability for WordPerfect, to advertise printers and laptops that
work with Debian, to advertise "hey, I think debian's cool", you name it.

How about just "Copyright (c) 1999 Debian; this logo may be used by anyone
to refer to the Debian project, but does not indicate endoresement by
the project" or something?

> `official license'
> ==================
> I. may only be used if:
>    a) the product it is used for is made using a documented procudere we
>       make (for example official CD-creation)
>    b) if we give approval for its use

ie, we'll have a bunch of very specific licenses "Official CD", "Official
Mirror". Some sort of "Debian Inside" would be nice too.

> II. may be used if an official part of debian (decided using the rules
> in I) is part of the complete product, if it is made clear that only
> this part is officialy approved

I think it'd be better for the developer's to have to actually look at
the product first, or develop some general rules first. If the Debian
consulting collective takes off, registered consultants could be given
permission to use the real logo, and non-registered ones could just
use the liberal one, eg.

> III. We reserve the right to revoke a license for a product, if (some
>   conditions here)

...if? Just ".", surely. It's just a logo, it's not like we're saying
they can't distribute Debian or anything anymore. And by specifically
giving out licenses in the first place, this becomes much less likely.

IMO, etc.

Cheers,
aj