Re: licence of LDP

Jonathan P Tomer writes:
> i want a pony.

I have several for sale.  What did you have in mind?

> that doesn't seem very binding to me.

It could mean "If you should happen to make any money with it the authors
would greatly appreciate receiving some small share" or it could mean "If
you make any money with it the authors damn well *WANT* some of it".  Would
you care to go to court to find out which?

> haven't read it myself, but does it prohibit derivatives or modifications
> from the original?

It prohibits derivatives and then goes on to say that you may publish
partial copies.  The trouble is, as far as copyright is concerned, the only
part of a derivative that matters is the partial copy it contains.

> it could mean you may distribute parts of the document verbatim, with
> nothing added. still probably not what the authors wanted, but a bit more
> sensical.

I think that what they want is to forbid derivatives in which the
boundaries of their work are not clearly demarcated.  They should have said
so.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)