Re: Corel (was Re: your mail)

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Jeff Noxon <jeff@planetfall.com> writes:
>
>    Although I certainly don't mind the suggestion of Corel getting one
>    (many?) developer accounts, I'm not certain I like the idea of voting
>    rights or access to -private...  Just my $0.02.
>
> What's to stop individual Corelers from just becoming full-fledged
> developers like any other developers?  AFAIK we don't have any rules
> against developers paid for by commercial interests, it's just that it
> hasn't happened up to this point.

Err, Um, So what do most developers do for money?
Are they/you all independently wealthy or is software development
just a hobby and you all have "real" jobs.
Personally, I work for a "commercial interest".
I thought that the rule was that I follow the letter and
spirit of the Debian Social Contract and that would be sufficient.
Also, as companies typically have official policies I have
taken some time to make sure that they are not in conflict
with the Social Contract, nonetheless, I am not a lawyer and
feel uneasy about this.
Should I post my employers policies to "Debian Legal"?
I did discuss my membership with my employer before becoming a
maintainer, and they had no problems.

I do agree that maybe the voting rules may need to be modified
but how do you compute dedication to the Social Contract ;-)