Re: Modification of reference material

On 16 Apr 1999 16:05:17 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>Arnoud writes:
>> And if you want to use a small portion of our text, you're citing from
>> our work, so that's already covered in copyright law (you must give us
>> credit, not cite more than necessary, etc).
>
>Under "fair use" I can quote from your text for critical or educational
>purposes, but I can't use your material in the sense of substituting a
>small portion of your work for work I would otherwise have written myself.

I don't mind at all if people use our work under "fair use", but I do have
objections to substituting my work into someone else's without appropriate
credit. Is it required for debian free software/documentation that other
people can just cut&paste from the work without the need for attributions?

As I understand it, the amount of text you can cite under "fair use" is not
formally defined, and I consider any amount of citation with attribution to
be fair, even if it's an entire chapter or node from one of my documents.
(With the exception of works I've written for publication in magazines, but
those are not at issue here)

Greetings,

Arnoud

--
\/  Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet - galactus@stack.nl              This space
    5th year Business & Computing Science student                 left blank