Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 04:56:30AM +0000, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> It's also distributed with bash, the Linux kernel, and so on. Is it a
> derivative of all the software on the CD?

I think this issue has already been discussed.  Several times.  But
maybe there isn't any sort of concise explanation, yet...

(1) As Anthony Towns has just pointed out, It's licensed use of the
Linux kernel.  See the file COPYING at the top of the linux source tree.

(2) To my knowledge it could use ash just as easily as bash, so that's
fair use.

(3) glibc is lgpled.

(4) Most of the software it's distributed with isn't required for it
to function:  you don't really need xeyes for example.  [Not that the
xeyes copyright would be an issue even if you did need it.]

--
Raul