Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 01:44:32AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> [Or even consider the restrictions on QPL+Artistic license.  The new
> QPL requires patches, and forbids non-source releases, while Artistic
> requires renaming or severely restricted distribution -- so eventually
> you wind up with a build process with files you shouldn't rename and an
> executable which must be renamed.]

The QPL does not require patches.  It prefers them, but doesn't require
them.  You could just as easily provide the original for reference and let
someone else diff it (which is at least a major improvement over requiring
that only patches be made..)  And the language used in that portion of the
license is ambiguous enough (not my bug--that one's courtesy of the
Trolls' lawyers) that you could drive a truck through it given that
anything not explicitly stated can be taken any way you reasonably could
take it under contract law.

Releases without source it does forbid.  The GPL does this too.  There is
a bug in the license I'd have fixed if anyone had bothered to point it out
before the license was final that the license indicates you must release
the source to anything that uses Qt unless you have a commercial license.
Of course the license is a Copyright license and that requirement is
beyond the scope of Copyright law, so it generally is unenforcable.
(Which is why someone should have pointed it out so I could have removed
it before I was finished and their lawyer had been brought in to finalize
it..)

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3