Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 10:45:27PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Thoughts on the MPL? I find it a more than adequate compromise between
> > the GPL's viral nature and BSD's optimal-reuse strategy.
>
> Netscape owns it.

Owns what?  Don't confuse the MPL with the NPL, and be sure you're looking
at MPL v1.1.  If you're suggesting the text hasn't been sufficiently
abstracted for use on non-Mozilla projects, I might buy that, but I'm sure
asking them if you could supplant your organization for theirs would work.
This gets back to the copyright-on-licenses issue.

> Try combining MPL with MPL' where some other company owns MPL', then
> imagine people putting serious work into that combination and
> distributing the result.

I have no trouble imagining that.  Could you be more precise?

> Then try to sort out what each company is obligated to do vs. what it's
> allowed to do.  [Remember that you're not allowed to remove an author's
> copyrights.]

I would treat the two upstream entities equally.  How is this more
difficult than one upstream entity?

We don't have to have a full-blown MPL discussion here, it could get
tedious.  I was just trying to state that there are some other
possibilities.

	Brian