[DOM Java bindings] Can a W3C recommandation be free?

[Please Cc: me, I'm not on debian-legal.]

I plan to package the W3C's Java bindings for DOM <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM
-Level-1/java-language-binding.html>. The recent versions of my XT package
needs it, so either I package it, or "potato" is released without a XSL tool,
which will be a problem in the XML "market".

I am not sure we can put the Java bindings in "main". The licence
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/copyright-notice.html> says "No right to
create modifications or derivatives is granted pursuant to this license."
which seems to exclude freedom to modify.

I understand that DOM is intended to be normative and therefore not modified
at will,
and that the Java bindings are not a real program but more a formal
specification (technically, they are a Java interface, something close from a
C ".h") but it still bothers me. Any advice? Any rule for standards or similar
documents, which are not programs?

[Remember the thread about the GPL being... non-free, for a similar reason.]