Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

> agree that they will use the software only in accord with the license
> is ok, provided the license is a free software license.

I doubt that it will be. Corel Linux is based heavily on Debian, which of
course is (almost?) all free software... (Hell, it's the only well-known
GNU/Linux dist that specifically calls itself "GNU/Linux" and not just
"Linux")... but something tells me that this license won't be a free
software license. Check it out...

> If the license is a free software license, then it permits you to put
> the software on your own ftp site and allow anyone to copy it.  So
> that is a thing you could "do about" the situation.

Provided that that is allowed by Corel... I do not have a site with such
bandwidth to spare. :/ Perhaps someone out there would be willing to put
up their dist for download, for the sole purpose of bypassing that EULA.
However, I am under the -distinct- impression that Corel would consider
anyone obtaining their distribution without agreeing to their EULA
'illegal'/'immoral', or in other words "against their rules".

> I will send mail now to fetch the URL you mentioned.  Meanwhile, could
> you or someone determine for me whether specific GNU packages such as
> GCC and GNU Emacs are included in the software that this question
> applies to?

I was not able to find Emacs at all; it does, however, include this:

-rw-r--r--   1 3100     3100       722218 Jan  2  1999 gcc_2.7.2.3-7.deb

It may contain Emacs, but I didn't find it.

--
 = Jon "Caspian" Blank,  right-brained computer programmer at large =