Re: Missing copyright clause of debian directory

As an additional followup, as the original debian/* files were licensed GPLv2+,
if you edit a file you can choose to make your contribution GPLv3+, which would
convert the entire file to GPLv3+.  If you end up editing all of the files in
debian/* at least once, you could convert the entire copyright entry to
GPLv3+.

I can’t do that with Electrum because there is no automatic conversion from
GPLv3+ to Expat.  But it is an option that is open to you if you would like to
pursue it.  It also isn’t a problem if you decide to leave all your
contributions to debian/* as GPLv2+, as any GPLv2+ file can be contributed to
an upstream GPLv3+ project (that’s the beauty of using GPLv2+ instead of
GPLv2: it can be converted to later versions with any additional permission
from the copyright holders).

On Friday, April 12, 2024 12:40:55 PM MST Soren Stoutner wrote:
> As an additional comment, I currently maintain Electrum.  Upstream is
licensed
> Expat. Previous maintainers licensed their debian/* contributions GPLv3+.
> When I took over the package, I started working closely with upstream and
> wanted to contribute patches and other files, like AppSream metainfo to them.
>
> To do this, I wanted all of my new contributions to debian/* to be licensed
> under Expat when I was the sole author of the file, and dual licensed under
> GPLv3+ and Expat when I was editing an existing file.  I indicated that in
> the following way:
>
> Files:     debian/*
> Copyright: 2013-2015 Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev@gmail.com>
>            2013 Gregor Herrmann <gregoa@debian.org>
>            2013-2021 Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi@debian.org>
>            2019-2020 Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org>
>            2022 Bastian Germann <bage@debian.org>
>            2022-2024 Soren Stoutner <soren@debian.org>
> License:   GPL-3+
> Comment:
>  The following copyright holders additionally license their
>  contributions to debian/* under the Expat license so that
>  if all other listed contributors agree it can be relicensed
>  under Expat, which is the license used by upstream and makes it
>  easier for contributions to be upstreamed when appropriate:
>  Soren Stoutner, Bastian Germann.
>
> Files:     debian/electrum.1
> Copyright: 2023-2024 Soren Stoutner <soren@debian.org>
> License:   Expat
>
> Files:     debian/patches/*
> Copyright: 2022-2024 Soren Stoutner <soren@debian.org>
> License:   Expat
>
> Files:     debian/patches/Improve-message-about-PyQt5.patch
> Copyright: 2020 Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi@debian.org>
> License:   GPL-3+
>
> https://sources.debian.org/src/electrum/4.5.4%2Bdfsg-1/debian/copyright/[1]
>
> On Friday, April 12, 2024 12:10:43 PM MST Richard Laager wrote:
> > I've only looked at this situation for a total of five minutes prior to
> > writing this email, so take this with a grain of salt. But to help you
> > make forward progress...
> >
> > Upstream seems to use GPL-3+ (not GPL-3). For example:
> > https://github.com/fxbois/web-mode/blob/
a9d21841224da3295f2dd0a90022f5e435e4

--
Soren Stoutner