Re: dentist software

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

It is evident to me that is misses features for dentists. The reason for
bringing this up might be that it might be easier to add the features to
GNUmed (as a plugin), using GNUmed's patient record stuff and maybe database
layout/interaction mechanisms than writing the whole thing from scratch.

I fully support this statement.

We have seen some general practioner projects being started because GNUmed
was 'just not right'. In the end all projects died because it is not easy to
catch up with a head start and thousands of lines of codes from other
software projects. Depends on your resources.

This is a really important point which is in many cases fully underestimated.

BTW. There is absolutely no problem to throw away the GNUmed GUI in wxpython
and replace it by a pyGTK GUI. The benefit would be that you could reuse all
the GNUmed middleware that is GUI-independant as well as the GNUmed database
which could be easily extended for dentists.

I think David is rather thinking about a Mono GUI or whatever.  But yes,
if you feel that wxPathon is not your favourite tool (and probably a
dentist application might need some graphics hacking which might be better
done with other stuff) - basing on the GNUmed patient record design
would be a major benefit for any similar project.

I wish you success with your project.

Ditto

     Andreas.

--