Re: debian-med newbie seeks advice on where to place packages

Am Dienstag, den 11.08.2009, 15:55 -0400 schrieb K.S. Bhaskar:

> it appears that I should put it in subdirectories of /opt/gtm, but it
> could just as easily be argued that it belongs in /usr/local/bin/gtm.

Debian uses /usr. Packages do not put stuff under /usr/local - maybe
except empty directories in some cases. /usr/local is reserved for stuff
manually installed by the user.

Check out the Debian Policy Manual and the Debian Developers Reference
for more technical information or provide your packages sources for
review.

> Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

Just one advice: Please avoid too short names if possible for both
package and binary names (please try to consider this as upstream too!).
Such short names provide a clear danger of name conflicts.

And in your case there is already a conflict: There is a package gtm in
Debian which provides a binary /usr/bin/gtm (the GTransferManager).

> GT.M is an implementation of MUMPS, which is a tightly coupled language
> and database widely used in health care.

So what about mumps-gtm or fis-gtm or something similar?

Regards, Daniel