Multi-platform packages

Hello.  I'm still a relatively new Debian maintainer, and learning the
ropes.  I have a package (oo2c, an optimizing Oberon-2 compiler) which
is presently released for i386.  A bug-report was filed against it, that
it did not build on Alpha, and I therefore investigated the matter with
the upstream maintainer.  He advised that there was a separate 64-bit
version which was largely untested, and we have therefore begun work
attempting to shake out the bugs, and potentially reach a point where
the code will work on other platforms.

Assuming that I can manage to create a working Alpha executable,
nevertheless I am not sure how then to go about releasing a
multi-platform package?  Does there have to be a separate Alpha
maintainer, Sparc maintainer, etc.?  Even though I can compile and test
via remote shell, I do not have a local Alpha system and would not
upload my private PGP key to a remote server for package signing.  Can I
create an unsigned package, download that to my local server and then
sign it?  Is there another recommended procedure?