Re: Multi-platform packages

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 12:16:49AM -0500, Mike Goldman wrote:

> Assuming that I can manage to create a working Alpha executable,
> nevertheless I am not sure how then to go about releasing a
> multi-platform package?  Does there have to be a separate Alpha
> maintainer, Sparc maintainer, etc.?  Even though I can compile and test
> via remote shell, I do not have a local Alpha system and would not
> upload my private PGP key to a remote server for package signing.  Can I
> create an unsigned package, download that to my local server and then
> sign it?  Is there another recommended procedure?

You compile for what you can, the port maintainers will try to compile
packages from the main 'port' (i386), if they have problems they will
either let you know or email you a patch they used to get it to compile.
You are responsible for applying patches tha are needed to get your
package to compile on platforms you claim that it will run on. To avoid
this you can claim that your package doesn't run on all platforms with the
Architecture field. I think something like this:

	Architecture: i386, sparc, alpha

This way PowerPC and m68k wouldn't even try to compile it and thus no bug
report for it not doing so. You should probably make a note in
/usr/doc/$(package)/ saying what keeps it from being portable in case any
one wishes to try and fix it.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org