Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 12:32:58PM -0800, Oscar Levi wrote:

> I've been a sudo user as well and use it because I trust it.  The only
> benefit I can see to fakeroot is that I don't have to enter a
> password.  What sorts of glitches do people get with fakeroot?

The benefit with fakeroot is that you can't screw anything up on the
system. Say for example you misplace a * with some other things, like ..,
in an rm -rf statement under clean in the debian/rules file. Guess what
with sudo you just might screw something up real bad. With fakeroot you
can only screw up for that user.

This has never happened to me since I've always used fakeroot, but others
here have some pretty scarry pre-fakeroot stories.

So use fakeroot to package for .deb for the same reason you don't try new
things as root on your system.

BTW, any chance of making a dpkg check a DEBIAN/perms file for what the
permissions will be on the installed files? Something the maintainer can
set himself.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org