Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Adam> This whole thread is absurd since the question was about
>     Adam> someone running ldconfig in debian/rules, which is a big
>     Adam> nasty no-no as well, and I can't think of a possible reason
>     Adam> why it would be necessary.
>
>     Ionutz> The ldconfig was run by the "make install" of the original
>     Ionutz> source package. To make the links to the library.
>
>     Ionutz> ldconfig $(LIBS)
>
> This is wrong.
>
> You should make the links yourself in debian/rules, since the make
> install is running ldconfig.
>
> So, copy the libblah.so.1.2.3 in debian/rules to debian/tmp/usr/lib/
> then ln -s libblah.so.1.2.3 debian/tmp/usr/lib/libblah.so.1 .
>
> Then, in the libblah-dev target of debian/rules, you should
> ln -s libblah.so.1.2.3 debian/libblah-dev/usr/lib/libblah.so .

OK. I have been finally enlighted. The ldconfig was there as the final
step of the installation proces. Like our ldconfig from postinst is. It
shouldn't be called at all, indeed. I will correct this, as maybe this
is doing me some other problems with dh_shlibdeps. I don't know yet,
didn't have time to try it, but it's a big possibility now that I have
understood what I was doing. Please excuse me for my slowness in
understanding this new stuff.

Ionutz