Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

    Adam> This whole thread is absurd since the question was about
    Adam> someone running ldconfig in debian/rules, which is a big
    Adam> nasty no-no as well, and I can't think of a possible reason
    Adam> why it would be necessary.

    Ionutz> The ldconfig was run by the "make install" of the original
    Ionutz> source package. To make the links to the library.

    Ionutz> ldconfig $(LIBS)

This is wrong.

You should make the links yourself in debian/rules, since the make
install is running ldconfig.

So, copy the libblah.so.1.2.3 in debian/rules to debian/tmp/usr/lib/
then ln -s libblah.so.1.2.3 debian/tmp/usr/lib/libblah.so.1 .

Then, in the libblah-dev target of debian/rules, you should
ln -s libblah.so.1.2.3 debian/libblah-dev/usr/lib/libblah.so .

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters M and T and the number 9.
"Johnny! Don't go! It's too dangerous!" "I don't care!" -- MST3K