Re: My `Section' and `Priority' lines have gone missing?

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:05:17 +0100 (CET), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> said:
> Ok, I have just read the web page. It says:

>      * Creating a Package using Debmake (hopefully this and the
> following will be merged) Note: use of debmake is deprecated. Use
> debhelper instead. Once someone writes a debhelper tutorial, it will
> replace the debmake info on this page.

> Of course, I don't think this is 100% fair.

> In the first place, I would consider fundamentally wrong any "new
> maintainer's guide" or new maintainer's web page which tells
> *either* "use debmake" or "use debhelper".

Well, I agree.  Moreover, it's not really anyone's place to say, "this
packaging tool is bad", or "this one is good".  Any tool which helps
maintainers create pacakges which comply with our policies is good.  I
have problems with debmake, mostly because no-one has given a thorough
review of the source code with Policy compliance in mind.

> I hope noone will object if I ask the webmasters to replace that by
> the following:

> "Note: Many people seem to prefer debhelper over debmake. Once
> someone writes a debhelper tutorial, it will replace the debmake
> info on this page."

There is a debhelper-based tutorial, see the DDP pages.