Re: debian & UPS support

On 31 Aug 1999 goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

> We have two servers that act as redundant to each other. Now if one
> goes down, the second takes over. It would then be nice to
> automatically reboot the other by telling the UPS to power down for a
> while.
>
> If the UPS had two serial ports, both computers could watch both UPS
> and power down the other in case of a software failure of the other.
>
> Its just a crazy idea, but we might end up with more than one ups on
> each comp.

Ok. The only thing I had on my mind was, that it's practically impossible
to make automated packages, which ask you a few questions in postinst and
you end up with correctly running setup like this; while it's quite
reasonable for normal setups (one master and as many slaves as you want on
one ups)

("Being too generic is a bug." -Linus)

Having two or more upses is fine with smartupstools, you just have to
tweak the rc scripts to fit your needs.

> With our current plans for the setup each server controls the UPS of
> the other, so its one UPS per server. In case of power shortage they
> have to do a shutdown via network, witch is fine. Even if that doesn't
> work, the system is designed to not take any severe damage when losing
> power. Any r/w Filesystem can be reconstructed at boot time, so a
> crash isn't serious.

We've also got two servers, but on one ups only. And since our switches
are not backed up, if the power goes down, network dies - except for the
servers are connected via 100MBit hub, which is also plugged to the UPS,
so they can communicate and switch off properly.

--
jozef  :-)