Re: BTS questions

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 11:17:04PM +0000, David Coe wrote:
> 1) http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer says:
>
>     A developer who receives a bug from the tracking
>     system, or sees it on debian-bugs-dist, and takes
>     responsibility for it should hit Reply in their
>     favourite mailreader, and then edit the To field
>     to say nnn-done@bugs.debian.org instead of
>     nnn@bugs (nnn-close is provided as an alias for
>     nnn-done).
>
> Taken literally, that means I should close bug reports as soon as I
> acknowledge having received them; but that seems wrong to me.  Am I
> misinterpreting the above?  I also noticed that the ``Unanswered

When it says `takes responsibility for it', it means fix (rather than
acknowledge and agree to fix in the future). It's slightly awkward
wording. You should not close the bug report until you have uploaded
the package AND you have received email from dinstall notifying
you that it has been installed in the archive.

> Should I really close (`take up') each bug as soon as I accept
> responsibility for (eventually) fixing it?

No. It is a good idea (IMHO) to send a short note back to the submitter
once you recieve the initial report just to acknowledge that you
received it -- I always send a thanks if nothing else. But the BTS
doesn't record this as being anything special.

> So how small is "small"?  Of course I will make note of the
> availability of the example file, if it's too large to include in the
> BTS.

Don't know sorry.

Hamish
--