Re: postinst?

> Hi,
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
> > All that debhelper will do is to place appropriate lines in the
> > postinst to handle "standard" things such as info file installation,
> > window manager installation, suidregister and so forth.  As soon as
> > you want to do something package-specific, you have to write your own
> > postinst.  Incidentally, for debhelper to put *anything* in a
> What a pitty... right now I get a postinst.debhelper which contains:
> # Automatically added by dh_installmenu
> if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi
> # End automatically added section
> and maybe more for sgid files.

Ah, so you then need to have #DEBHELPER# lines in your scripts.

> > maintainer script ({pre,post}{inst,rm}), you need to have at least the
> > following minimal script:
>
> > #! /bin/sh
> >
> > #DEBHELPER#
> >
> > I don't believe that debhelper will create the script otherwise.
> I have to put that into postinst and postrm? Then the update-menu and sgid
> stuff will be added by debhelper? Good then. Will try at home (can we have
> something like this in the documentation, as an example please?

And, if necessary, preinst and prerm.  Have a look at which scripts
debhelper creates (like postinst.debhelper) in the debian/ directory.

> > postinst:
> > ---------
> > #! /bin/sh
> > if [ "$1" = configure ]
> > then
> >   if [ -d /var/games ]; then DIR=/var/games; else DIR=/var/lib/games; fi
> >   touch $DIR/mylog
> >   chown root.games $DIR/mylog
> >   chmod 664 $DIR/mylog
> > fi
> >
> > postrm:
> > -------
> > #! /bin/sh
> > if [ "$1" = purge ]
> > then
> >   if [ -d /var/games ]
> >   then rm /var/games/mylog
> >   else rm /var/lib/games/mylog
> >   fi
> > fi
> Thanks for the example, but I see no #DEBHELPER# ? I just add it after
> /bin/sh before my "private" script?

Yes, either that or at the end.  Or somewhere else.
Have a look at section 6 of the packaging manual which explains how
the scripts are executed for a better understanding of what's going
on.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg