Re: Really, Really, Really Old Bugs

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 12:54:23AM +0100, Frankie Fisher wrote:

> > > Can I just close this bug?
> > >

> > Sure, someone can always re-open it.
>
> Not that I am an authority on the subject (or have ever even been in a
> position to close a bug as I'm not even a maintainer yet), but that would be
> tantamount to denying that the problem exists.
> And debian prides itself on its open and honest bug report system.
>
> Maybe you could downgrade it or something.

But in this case, there is no evidence that the bug actually exists in
this package.  The bug can't be reproduced, and the submitter can't be
reached for additional information.  If the bug was in this package, it
may have been fixed in a later release, but without more details, it is
impossible to tell.  I think the appropriate action here is to email the
submitter (cc'ing the bug number as always for the archives), telling
him/her that you will close the bug unless they respond and give more
details.  If there is no response within a reasonable amount of time,
close the bug.

-Ben

--
Ben Darnell              bgdarnel@unity.ncsu.edu