multi-source package

(I apologize if this is a FAQ...)

Say I want to package a program, say X. I have a specific
program in mind, but have no intention of packaging it (yet), I just
want to get a general idea whats involved.

Now lets say this package X will not compile without source code Y.

Also assume that source code Y hasn't already been packaged and
isn't worth packaging seperately.

How do I do it, while maintaining pristine source code? Is this
possible? Ideally, I would like to be able to use cvs-buildpackage, etc.

Now, just to add to the complications, assume the source for package
Y is many megabytes, even when compressed. I suspect most of it is
not used (not sure yet). Would it still be practical to package this
program?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>