Mentor for mipsel cross compiling wanted

I have built a cross compiler for mipsel and are in the process of cross
compiling around 50 Debian slink packages on a i386 slink system.

I'm now able to cross compile a third of them with minor tweaks. I
usually look into debian/rules and the invoke make manually e.g.

make CC=mipsel-linux-gcc AR=mipsel-linux-ar RANLIB=mipsel-linux-ranlib

or

make ARCH=mipsel-linux -f debian/rules

I would like to use dpkg-cross and have read the documentation but must
admit that I don't understand how to invoke a cross compiling build.

Getting to dpkg-cross to operate will probably not be the magic solution
because it seems that a lot of configure scripts aborts if they smell
cross compiling e.g. bash, python.

Imagine if all Debian source packages could be cross compiled just out
of the box! Has there been any efforts regarding this? If we could pull
this through for at least the base packages then I believe Debian
GNU/Linux would be the preferred choice for embedded projects.

The Debian MIPS project seems hibernating but I hope that somebody on
this list is able to help me out.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards
Peter L. Hansen