Re: dpkg question(s)

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 10:32:22AM -0500, Ryan McLean wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct place for this question.
> I plan on using debian on many many systems, and I would like to know how to
> setup a custom "tag" file.  So when I install via apt, all the packages that
> I want selected are already selected, and everything else is purged.  Kind
> of like how on the default install you can choose a 'profile' to install by
> (ie: development, X environment, etc).  Thanks in advance!

Apologize accept because debian-mentors is for new developpers, not
newbies. For your question,

dpkg --get-selections > packages.list
dpkg --set-selections < packages.list

from dpkg --help:

Usage:
[...]
  dpkg --get-selections [<pattern> ...]   get list of selections to stdout
  dpkg --set-selections                   set package selections from stdin
[...]

>  - Ryan
>
>  /* Ryan McLean
>   * Honesty.com
>   * Network/Systems Administrator
>   * http://www.honesty.com
>   */

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70