Re: library packaging howto?

    Will> I've been around for a while, I have a couple of packages.
    Will> I'm about to undertake packaging my first set of libraries,
    Will> and I'm not sure what's different.  I understand that a
    Will> stripped copy of the library goes into the {package}lib.deb,
    Will> and that a debugging-enabled copy (and header files) go into
    Will> {package}lib-dev.deb, but what else do I need to do?

Pretty much it's a matter of looking at an existing package -- that's
how you learn.

Take a peek at bash's debian/rules file to see how it does
libreadline, or look at libgtk1's debian/* files to see how a pure
library package is handled.

The short is:

.so.1 and .so.1.0.0 go into libblah1
.so and .a and .h files go into libblah-dev
(optional) debugging-enabled .a goes into libblah-dbg

Your numbers may vary.

--
Brought to you by the letters N and I and the number 11.
"Ha ha! I have evaded you with the aid of these pasty white mints!"