Re: greetings! - PennMUSH debian package

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:01:12AM -0500, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> A few months back, I attempted to package TinyMUSH 3.0, but ran into some
> trouble with a few clauses that seemed to imply something wasn't quite DFSG
> free. I had submitted a report to the developers, and they expressed
> interest in making it compliant. I haven't really done much with the package
> since. For me, at least, it wasn't quite such an easy thing to package.
>
> PennMUSH may be different, of course.
> >
> > > 1. Is the license for PennMUSH okay?
> >
> > If it's standard artistic, then yes.

Speaking as one of the developers of the TinyMUSH 2.2.4 Unofficial line
(and spouse to one of the TinyMUSH 2.2 Core folks) - be careful. Be very
careful. I don't currently have a backtrace of Penn's code genetics, but
TinyMUSH makes extensive use of old code, up to and including the last 3.0
release I bothered to dig into.

Said code, if it was licensed at all, was generally licensed with a "no
commercial use" or "no commercial use without permission from the authors"
clause. And since I know for a fact that some of the folks who wrote it
are either not clearly identified or no longer easy to get ahold if (since
I tried), I suggest treating any re-licensed work with skepticism. Just
because David and Lydia want to relicense 3.0 doesn't mean they have
sufficient permissions to accomplish it (legally).

This may apply far less to Penn; as I understand it, the Penn codebase
diverged at a much earlier point, and has a more consistant code history,
with fewer people involved in it.

(For the record; I *know* there's code in 3.0 that I wrote, which was
submitted under a casual 'whatever license the thing is already under'
view; I have not yet been asked about relicensing it; ergo, D&L have not
completed due diligence to try to relicense anything, yet).
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>