Re: btrfs packages: reviews appreciated

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:33:47 pm Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Hi Kel,
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.
>
> [ btrfs packages ]
>
> > Had a quick look, some comments:
> >
> > * these also need to be removed by upstream's clean target:
> >   .*.o.cmd
> >   .tmp_versions/
> >   Module.symvers
>
> Will pass that on to upstream.
>
> > * btrfs-modules-source should have a versioned dependency on debhelper
> > (>=0.5.37) to ensure that dh_installmodules will always be useful
>
> 5.0.37, I guess.

Yeah, that one. Sorry.

> > * kdist_clean: should call upstream's clean target, not the debian/rules
> > clean target
>
> That's from dh-make, so I'll need to file another bug on that :-)
>
>  -> #432816
>
> As far as I understand, kdist_clean is called while building
> btrfs-modules-_KVERS_ (with module-assistant, or however).
>
> Should it only call upstream "make clean", or does it also need to clear up
> the leftovers from the package building process, so it'd need to call
> dh_clean and upstream make clean?

Nope, no debian specific stuff need be cleaned at all. Just call upstreams
clean target. By this time, the debian package has been built, uploaded,
downloaded and installed. The rest of debian/rules is completely superfluous
when it comes to just building the kernel module from the debianized tarball.

For example, in all kernel module packages I maintain, i have debian/rules and
debian/rules.modules. Each have specific tasks:
 debian/rules: responsible for package building tasks
 debian/rules.modules:  responsible for module building tasks

Only debian/rules.modules is installed to the module tarball
(as /usr/src/modules/$pkgname/debian/rules).

One gotcha: I recommend also supplying kernel version variables when calling
the upstream makefile's clean target, in your case KERNELDIR=$(KSRC). This is
required sometimes for when compiling for kernel version != `uname -r`,
depending on what sanity checking/cleaning and other actions are performed.

Thanks, Kel.