Re: ITR: xmlrpc-epi - copyright issues

Hi Neil

I have finally had time to update upstream and produce a new Debian
package that hopefully resolves the previous issues.

I have been sitting on sending this mail for a while as I wanted some
testing of the library which is now happened and testing caught two
packaging mistakes.

For the benefit of anyone who has not seen the previous mails [1], this
package is:-

An implementation of the XML-RPC protocol, providing an API for
developers to serialise RPC requests to and from XML. It does not
include any transport layer and is therefor useful for applications
which implement their own transport or wish to use XML-RPC over an
existing transport layer.

Neil Williams wrote:

>>> Files: src/expat_compat.h src/compat.c
>>> Copyright: (C) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
>>> Licence: PHP-3.01
>>> (src/compat.c is part of the packaged library as it is listed in
>>> src/Makefile.am under libxmlrpc_epi_la_SOURCES. src/expat_compat.h is
>>> not packaged in the -dev)
>> Proposal - drop these files upstream and only use expat as the xmlparser
>> for now.
>
> That would make things a lot easier.

Dropped, there is now no PHP licensed code in the upstream tree. This
was an oversight upstream which has now been resolved.

>>> Files: expat/*
>>> Copyright: (C) 1998, 1999 James Clark
>>> Licence: Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 or GNU General Public
>>> License
>>> (files not packaged, code not compiled)
>> Proposal - drop these files upstream, and if necessary package them in a
>> separate tarball/zip for distros that don't necessary have expat available.
>
> Agreed.

All expat code is now removed from upstream and xmlrpc-epi expects to
use a system wide libexpat on both unix systems and the windows build is
in sync too.

>>> Files: scripts/cvs2cl.pl
>>> Copyright: (C) 1999 Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
>>> Licence: GPL-2+
>>> (build tool? Robin? seems to be an upstream thing - again worth asking
>>> upstream not to package it in the released tarball).
>> This should be (will be now) dropped from the source tarball and only be
>> in upstream
>> CVS as its a CVS changelog tool.
>
> OK.

This is no longer in upstream tarball but is in upstream CVS only.

>> Ok i think we can overcome the major problems fairly easily here to get
>> the package into an acceptable state. Long term the package needs to be
>> able to nativly use the libxml2 parser *without* that php compatibility
>> library.
>
> Agreed.

The package is in good working order again and the library only builds
with "Dan Libby's" code which is all MIT licensed. There are two pairs
of files that are declared to be Public domain that are required :-

Files: src/base64.h, src/base64.c
Copyright: John Walker
Licence: PD
 This program is in the public domain.

Files: src/queue.c, src/queue.h
Copyright: 1993 Peter Yard
Licence: PD
 This code is released to the public domain.

There is one additional file that is licensed LGPL, but this is not part
of the library but a code example included within the samples
directory (which are not used for the building of the library).

This is also documented in debian/copyright :-

Files: sample/sample.c
Copyright: (C) 2000 Epinions, Inc.
Licence: LGPL
 This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU Lesser Public License
can be found in file "/usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL".

I have also taken the opportunity to add some of the other X-**** fields
to debian/copyright as per the discussion from
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

> (and add that -dbg package, fix the changelog --closes entry and
> implement the autotools recommendation for debian/rules from the other
> email).

-dbg package is added

changelog now only closes the ITP once (in the original location) the
.changes file used to upload to mentors was generated with -v0.50 to
ensure ITP closure was included (as if i was doing it to ftp-master, no
effect on mentors)

and ./configure is no longer called with --host

I believe this was the required changes ;-)

> That sounds perfect. Let me know when the new upstream needs a sponsor.

I have uploaded a new version to mentors for your review :-

It is now version 0.54-3

It builds these binary packages:
libxmlrpc-epi-dev - Development files for libxmlrpc-epi0, a XML-RPC
request library
libxmlrpc-epi0 - A XML-RPC request serialisation/deserialisation library
libxmlrpc-epi0-dbg - Debug symbols for libxmlrpc-epi0, a XML-RPC request
library

main contrib non-free
- dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xmlrpc-epi/xmlrpc-epi_0.54-3.dsc

I hope the package is now in much better shape, so if you have time to
review again i would be very grateful.